Lilypie Baby Ticker

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Meme

Since I was meme-d by Marsha, I have no choice but to post about this before updating about the stuffs that's been going on in our life since the arrival of my parents. Hence, the following comes...

20 years ago (1985)
I'm just a mere 3-year-old toddler, and unfortunately my memories doesn't go back so far. The earliest memories I had went back only to my kindergartener years only. I remembered memorizing books instead of actually reading them cause I can't read! I still remember the series I read most was 'Peter and Jane'. I wonder if they still exist in today's kindergarten. I was also a very reserved child, hardly socialize with others and have only very few friends. Always in my own world, but I don't remember having any imaginary friends though.

10 years ago (1995)
Getting from a primary schooler to a secondary schooler wasn't hard at all. Yeah, the environment changes, but most of the faces are the same as most of the students are from the same primary school. I got into the first class for Form 1, from there my academics deteriorate to second class for Form 2, and third class for Form 3. I think I really go with the flow...I remember being 20ish position in every form, and the reason I was put behind is because of the quota that malays should be placed in better class even though their results was worse than the chinese. Apart from school, I was always at tuition classes or piano classes for almost everyday of the week. Tuition was really fun, I still love Mr Chee's way of teaching. I enjoyed those times, cause those were the only time I was away from home. Teenage years was boring cause my parents were strict ones, I hardly get to go out with friends.

5 years ago (2000)
College! Yay! I got to make my own decision, I get to go where I want, and it's fun! Almost felt like a bird finally getting out of that golden cage. TARC was nice, although unlike 'fun' people, I had to stay in the hostel. Get to stay in the same room with my lifetime best friend, JY and most of the time we even double date (her then bf was best friend with my then bf) Everything worked out good until she left for SIA due to some personal reasons. But things didn't go any worse, my next roommate is also an Ipoh gal, we got along very well, and had a lot of fun as well. Sorry can't really go into details as my mom is also a reader of this blog. Hehe. Some things are better kept unsaid.

3 years ago (2002)
Came to US for further studies. Felt a little odd since Campbell Uni was located at a very rural area. Still remembered the feelings when the school van took my friends and I back to the Uni. It took around 45 minutes, but I was scared shitless. Felt as though an accident is going to occur cause the driver drove on the right side of the road. Felt worse whenever we had to take a turn, cause that's where it's most confusing. And felt even more unsecure when the driver is talking on the cellphone and driving at the same time. Worst thing was that the longer the journer, the less we saw of buildings. All around was just trees, grasses and lands that goes all the way to the horizon. Where is he taking us?
Anyway, I grew to love Campbell so much, I miss it even now, although I've only spent one year there. The people were the friendliest, warmest people I've ever known. Still miss being in the choir as well, as we're the travelling choir. Been to quite a few towns in NC travelling with them, but unluckily I don't have any cameras with me, so all will just remains as memories. Being the only asian the choir wasn't that bad either. Of course there's one or two who discriminate, but most of them were very very nice to me. I love Campbell Uni!!

2 years ago (2003)
Graduated with Bachelors Degree, left NC to come to NYC, embarking on a career of a lifetime. Who wouldn't want to be successful in NYC? But everything went crashing down after knowing that I wouldn't get an OPT (something like a working permit for foreign student who graduated in US) It's hard for me to take as I've always been very ambitious. Imagine going to interview, impressing the interviewers, getting positive feedbacks only to be decline because I didn't get the OPT yet (at that time I didn't know I will never ever get them) Anyway, whenever a door closes another opens. I'm lucky to have a great guy friend who took me around and look after me. Anyway, he became my bf and now, my husband.

1 year ago (2004)
The birth of Ethan Lim!! Wants to know more? Read from the archieves!

And so, I pass on this meme to
Mund and Andrew. Hopefully Mund will continue on with this, and as for Andrew, I'm sure it won't be a trouble for him as he's an avid blogger.

4 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindy, guess what? We shared many similar experiences like going to tuition classes/piano lessons after schools...strict parents...no hanging out with friends after school hours, etc! Not sociable and had few friends! Eerily similar! I wonder do any of this strict parents thingy still exist? Because other than your parents, I don't see any other person who has strict parents!!

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Bibilui said...

Ah jie: memang guai guai lui nie!

junioruser: maybe we would be a strict parents too in future.. the answer review when your children ask the same question like you did today.. hehe.. :)

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!! amazingly clean cut records but hey, since your parents read your blog, should you be calling them STRICT parents there eh? :-) And also, there's to be no usage of 'informal' languages like 'shit-less' on the blog, young girl! mind your language or you're grounded.

wow, this meme thing is actually quite useful. we get to know each other much, much MUCH better!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Junioruser: Well, probably you didn't notice but Joey (the one in Campbell with us) is the same as us. She's probably much worse cause she's back in M'sia. Her dad kinda bribe her into getting a job she not much interested with, while she let go of a much better opportunity, one that requires her to travel within Asia. So now she's stuck with a job she doesn't like. But she can't go back, cause her dad fulfill his part, which is getting her a car. Anyway, a few of my Ipoh friends also experience the same thing. Probably we have to blame it on Ipoh.

Bibiana: Thanks for the compliment. I take it as one. Haha

Marsha: If I can't blog a bit freely, then I would rather not blog at all. Yeah, my mom does read my blog, but she also knows how I felt about her too. What's in the past is long gone, furthermore she knows I appreciate her now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home