Lilypie Baby Ticker

Monday, August 15, 2005

Doctor's Appointment

Yesterday we took Ethan to the doctor. We actually went there last Friday, but we didn't know that our pediatrician went for a vacation. It's a hot hot day in New York City. Temperatures soared above 90 degrees. So, I dressed Ethan in a piece of white bodysuit and rubbed sunscreen on his exposed limbs. While walking to the subway station, I even walked beside him holding an umbrella to shield him from the sun while Mund pushed the stroller. It's a ridiculous sight to some as I'm walking funnily trying to adjust the way I hold the umbrella.

When we're there, not much of patients are around, we only need to wait for one baby and then it's our turn next. This is really good compared to Friday, where there's long queue. Mund carried Ethan inside the examination room. The nurse teared the old paper from the 'bed'. I don't know how to explain it, maybe someone can provide me with the correct terms. The sound of paper tearing freaked Ethan out. I guess this is one of the reasons he hated the sound of plastic bags. He was still ok, not crying yet when he was placed on the weighing machine. He's a little over 22 pounds, not much gained since his last visit 2 months ago. He was exactly 21 pounds then. Next the nurse put him down on the bed to measure his height. He cried immediately, and kicked his legs about. The moment I picked him up, he's quiet again. He's 2 inches taller than last time, which put him now at 31 inches.

Next, doctor came in to look at his ears, abdomen and private parts. He has to put down again on his back. Again, he cried with all his might. He even tried to get up on his own, and when that doesn't succeed, he grab on doctor's hand and pull himself up til 45 degrees. Of course the nurse is subduing him otherwise he could really sit up. This time when I picked him up, he was holding on me so tight, grabbing my neck til it hurts. I passed him to Mund, and even he complained that Ethan is grabbing too tight.

After that, we were lead to another room where Ethan's finger was pricked and bloods was taken for blood test. He wasn't afraid, as I was holding him on my lap. He didn't even cry, just fascinated by the process. When adhersive bandage (or plaster) was sticked to his finger, he tried to shake it off, like doing the bye-bye motion. The nurse proceed to give him a tuberculin shot on his arm. It surprised me as he didn't cry. Normally he would, but all of those shots were on his thigh. Is it more painful to take shots on the thigh? I never had any there... and no, I'm not planning to try either. The nurse reminded us to call if his arm became reddish in 48 hours, which meant having tuberculosis. When all were done, we left after saying bye bye.


PS: We didn't bring out camera out so no photos for this post.

3 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah! Ethan is so macho. He's the only baby I heard of who isn't afraid of needles. *applause* Even until now, I hate the sight of needles....

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Bibilui said...

yeah its really painful when the needles shots on the thigh .. i got 3 shots before i get the appendectomy last year .. i was in a great pain .. btw Ethan consider a brave baby ady cause he din cry. :)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Yeah, when he took that shot, I was the once who's sick in my gut. I hate needles too...but I took quite a lot during my pregnancy as well. I always have to turn my head away...I can't bear to look. Eeekk..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home